Our COVID-19 Procedures
Dear Bookhouse customers,
Here is an update about what’s going on with us in light of the current public health crisis, and its impact on our bookshop.
To help prevent spread of the Coronavirus, and to protect the wellbeing of our customers and staff, the Bookhouse temporarily closed its doors on Monday 23 March until further notice.
During these times you can still order online at www.thebookhousemonifieth.co.uk where we offer free local delivery on all orders in Carnoustie, Monifieth and Broughty Ferry areas. Subscribe to our newsletter to keep abreast of what’s new and recommended, and please do follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and help us by sharing the posts with friends and family.
Our family very much appreciates the move to online purchasing by our customers, and we are working extremely hard to make sure orders are picked, packed and sent as swiftly as possible. To ensure social distancing, I am now working on my own, with additional safeguards in place.
We are following the latest guidance from the World Health Organisation in relation to the spread of the virus via parcels. This states that the virus can only exist for a period of hours outside the body, up to two days in extreme circumstances. We have therefore taken the following precautions:
- We work on the assumption that books may have been exposed to the virus when being packed by our suppliers. We therefore ensure that 48 hours have passed from packing to unpacking books at the Bookhouse.
- I am the only person that handles books at the Bookhouse. All other members of our family who normally work there have been furloughed.
- Latex gloves and Perspex visor are worn when unpacking books from suppliers and when making up customer orders for delivery.
- Latex gloves and Perspex visor are worn when dropping off parcels for courier delivery and when doing local doorstep delivery.
- For local delivery, books are delivered in bags which are placed on the doorstep. I ring/knock and retreat to a distance of at least 2 metres and wait until someone answers the door. Books are precious items and are never left unattended unless specific delivery instructions have been left by the customer e.g. self-isolating.
We will continue to update our practice in line with the latest scientific and government guidance. We are keen to receive any feedback and are always looking to improve our practice and provide the best and safest service to our customers.
Latest UK Delivery Estimates
Free local delivery (DD5 and DD7) – same day
UK Courier (£2.40) – 2-3 days (estimate)
We are extremely grateful to Royal Mail and Hermes who are working incredibly hard to get all deliveries to our customers as quickly as possible.
Thank you for your continued support for our business.
We will update this blog with any further changes as and when any further decisions are taken. Keep safe and share kindness wherever you can.